Cutting Technologies Ltd laser cut the Octagons sculpture, designed by artist Tim Ward of Circling The Square, which is installed in the grounds of the Old Gaol in Abingdon, Oxfordshire.
The large steel and illuminated 2800 mm tall sculpture was created with three interlocking octagons relating to the distinctive octagon construction of the Old Gaol. The sculpture is constructed of marine-grade 316 stainless with coloured cast glass mounted on the upper sections, housing LED lighting. The octagons are connected and tilted at different angles, creating a rotational appearance. Mounted on a steel plinth, the sculpture is robust, durable and suitable for a public garden location.
The Abingdon Gaol was built between 1805 and 1818 and fulfilled the purpose for which it was built for just 57 years. An auction sale of the building took place in 1874 and the Old Gaol was taken over by Harris and Mathews Corn and Seed Merchants who converted it into a corn store. They occupied the building until 1971. At that time the Old Gaol was added to the statutory list at Grade II and the Council decided to develop the build for a new sports and arts complex. The new sports centre won the 1976 architectural award for the southern region from the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).
The sports and arts centre closed in 2002 and the building stood empty until Cranbourne acquired the Old Gaol to develop it into modern homes and areas for restaurants, giving the 200 year old building a new lease of life.
Contact: Barry Proctor