The WMG at the University of Warwick introduces a brand new course in Advances in Laser Welding Systems. Urged by challenging weld requirements, mix materials, need for quality control and reduction of scrap and waste, the course will cover the full cycle of development from fundamental understanding of the metallurgy to selection of welding equipment with overview of current technology trends, insights about intelligent laser welding units assisted by machine learning and latest generation sensors.
The following topics will be covered:
- National EV roadmap and priorities
- Laser welding safety operations and policies
- State-of-the-art laser beam welding systems (laser units, scanners, beam shaping systems, sensors, etc.)
- Fundamentals of weld metallurgy for similar and dissimilar metals
- Digital twins for laser welding systems
- Weld quality standards
- Laser welding systems powered by machine learning and in-process sensing
- Automation and fundamentals of robot programming and fixturing/jigging
- Hands-on sessions to troubleshoot weld quality issues and system malfunctions
- Future developments and technologies
Attendees will have access to the state-of-the-art Laser Beam Welding lab at WMG with plenty of hands-on lab sessions to debug weld defects and implement solutions.
Date: 10th – 13th July 2023
Venue: WMG, University of Warwick
Cost: £1800 (Standard / Industry Rate) £1000 (Academic / Student Rate)